Taking kids paddling for the first time is a delicate thing. Here are some tips to keep them wanting to get back on the water again and again.
- For the first time take them to still water where they don’t have to worry about currents. Try a lake or a big eddy.
- Work with them on strokes. Show them what a good stroke looks like.
- Ask them to paddle from point to point to get the feel of paddling.
- To make it fun, play paddle games, like “follow the leader” or “tag”.
- Work with them on a gentle eddy line … cross it and feel what edges do.
- When you think they are ready, take them to a shallow class II rapid. Hold their boat so they don’t flip … like training wheels. Let them feel what it is like being in a rapid before they try it for themselves.
I hope these tips are helpful and your kid has fun on the water.